Blepharitis is an eye-related condition in which the eyelids are inflamed and as a result of which, one suffers from itchy feelings and swollen eyes. One of the main causes for Blepharitis is bacterial infection, but there are other causes too.
Since this condition is associated with the eyes, which are the most sensitive parts of the body, it is imperative to choose only those treatments that are not harmful in the long run.
In this article, we put forward 7 such amazingly effective and safe tips to treat Blepharitis naturally. Read further to know more.
#1 Coconut Oil
The richness of nutrients found in the coconut oil makes it a wonderful choice for dealing with Blepharitis. Coconut oil, when applied to the eyes, can help you stay away from swollen eyes and all the discomforts that come along.
- Take a cotton swab, dip it in the oil and place it on the eyelids.
- Let it stay there for about 20 minutes or so.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a day on a daily basis to see long-lasting results.
#2 Aloe Vera Gel
The moisturizing property of Aloe Vera can be useful in halting the formation of crust and flakes. Also, its anti-inflammatory properties can help in scaling back redness, swelling, and irritation.
- Extract the recent gel from an Aloe Vera leaf, apply the gel to the eyelid, rub the gel gently.
- Then, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times each day.
#3 Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil, an essential oil, is a popular choice for treating various health conditions. For centuries, this oil has been a household name worldwide. Check with any drug store and they should have tea tree oil.
- Take 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil, combine it with 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil.
- Dip a cotton swab in this mixture.
- Keep your eyes closed and wipe the cotton swab throughout the ends of the eyelashes.
- Keep your eyes closed for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process twice a day.
Using the tea tree oil is a seamless way to shorten the healing process. Ensure that you use only the diluted version of the oil.
How can you ever go wrong with honey! It is important to acknowledge that honey is angelic when it comes to dealing with varied health conditions. Even with Blepharitis, honey plays a pivotal role in bringing some relief.
All you need to do is put some raw honey on the eyelids and keep your eyes shut for some time. Doing this will surely ease the swollen eyes and you will gradually start seeing effective results.
#5 Potato Slices
In Blepharitis, it is difficult to open the eyes due to the burning sensations in the eyes. The cooling effect of potatoes will come in handy here. Moreover, potatoes can also eradicate the growth of bacteria in the eyes.
- Take a clean small sized potato. Cut it into thin slices.
- Apply one slice of potato over the inflamed eyes.
- Allow the slice to sit for 15 minutes, then remove it.
- Repeat this process for several times in a day.
Garlic, a powerful herb, plays a profoundly significant role in combating inflammation and harmful bacteria. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties help to keep the symptoms of Blepharitis away.
- Take some cloves of raw garlic, cut off the skin first.
- Ensure that the garlic cloves are clean. Grind the cloves.
- Take a cotton ball, rub juice from garlic over the inflamed eyelids.
- After 5 to 6 hours, use cold water to wash the infected areas.
It is strongly recommended to apply this method at night before going to bed.
#7 Consume Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Lastly, and most importantly, be mindful of your diet. Try to consume Omega-3 fatty acids as they might help to ease the signs of Blepharitis. Studies have shown a strong positive correlation between Omega-3 fatty acids and treatment of Blepharitis.
To fetch Omega-3 fatty acids, consume cold water fish such as salmon and sardines. If you are a vegetarian, then Chia seeds and flax seeds are good options.
The health of your eyes is in your hands. Take very good care of your eyes! Consult an eye specialist in case if the symptoms worsen.